How we assist Police Forces
The National Police Air Service (NPAS) deliver a fully borderless service to all police forces across England and Wales 24/7/365 and an unprecedented national response to the ever-increasing number of national major and critical incidents. Flying at average speeds of 138mph, police air support saves officers on the ground valuable time when it matters. On a daily basis, NPAS tackle criminality, help save lives and keep people and communities safe.
NPAS carry out a variety of tasks for police forces such as searching for high risk missing people/concern for welfare/injured people, searching for suspects, managing vehicle pursuits from the air and assisting with counter terrorism/specialist firearms operations.
The NPAS fleet consists of EC135s and EC145s. NPAS also have four fixed-wing aeroplanes and work is underway for all four aircraft to achieve air worthiness and police operational certification - a process expected to take several months - before they can begin flying in support of police forces in England and Wales.
Benefits of NPAS/police air support:
• can search large areas quickly (twenty times faster than other options and fewer ground resources required) – can mean the difference between life and death
• can provide an aerial overview of a situation - minimises risk to members of the public and police officers
• provide downlink into control rooms
• ability to surge resources in times of greatest need
• ability to move aircraft and crews to meet demand across England and Wales
• enhanced safety of the public and officers
• production of specialist quality evidence
• a visible and powerful deterrent ensuring communities are safe and feel safer
360 Degree helicopter photo
Look inside an EC-135 Police helicopter, and around the NPAS Newcastle hangar in this 360° VR photo.